Thursday, August 30, 2012

This is a co-workers car front tire. I have a question for all of you who comment

Yup, so out of alignment that he's worn through the steel already.

So I told him. He may not have been aware that his alignment was out of whack, and that his tire is now dangerous to himself and the other people on the road.

He already knew.

My question... is it wrong of me to contemplate taking the air out of this tire so he will be provoked into replacing it.

My concept is that nothing short of a blowout, flat tire, or causing a problem that might be serious enough to injure himself and unknowing fellow commuters, will get him to replace this dangerous tire.

Anyone think I'm nuts? Or am I doing the right thing. I already let him know it's dangerous, likely to blow out at speed, and cause a traffic collision that will hurt himself and innocent others

JW commented: I wouldn't just let the air out. I think (depending on other circumstances of course) I would take my pocketknife and make a small cut, just enough to let the air out that way. Make it small enough to look like he got it on the road however, then offer to take him and the tire to a shop to get a new one. 

Don't feel guilty...you would probably be saving him, and someone else, lots of pain and misery down the road. 


Andrew at  http://www.tripsandturns.com commented:
I am highlighting your post about your co-workers tire on our site tomorrow. That guy is really nuts.

YrHmblHst  Tough question... as one of the more Libertarian types you'll likely meet, I would at first say that it is his business. BUT, I would tend to say that your deflating his tyre would be done out of care and compassion for him, as well as out of concern for other road users. So, as he refuses to be responsible, and your motives are certainly pure, I would say that you would not be wrong to do so nor are you nuts. It may be the only way to get your point across in this instance. 

Robert L commented YES! After smacking him upside the head. If this blows at 70mph on the front tire he can easily swerve into someone. If he can't afford to get a tire replaced, he shouldn't be driving. 

Gerald V commented I can only hope the tire goes flat while he's on the freeway. It will teach him about false economy.

7 comments:

  1. YES! After smacking him upside the head. If this blows at 70mph on the front tire he can easily swerve into someone. If he can't afford to get a tire replaced, he shouldn't be driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Tough question... as one of the more Libertarian types you'll likely meet, I would at first say that it is his business. BUT, I would tend to say that your deflating his tyre would be done out of care and compassion for him, as well as out of concern for other road users. So, as he refuses to be responsible, and your motives are certainly pure, I would say that you would not be wrong to do so nor are you nuts. It may be the only way to get your point across in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is the guy needs new tires. The question is, what's stopping him from taking care of it? Any chance the driver needs money to replace the tire(s)? If he does, are you willing to help carry the cost till he can pay you back? Can you give him a ride till he can? On the other hand, if the guy is just lazy, well, that sucks and he needs a swift kick. Just sayin, find out the reason he's delaying, then act.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd just find out if the guy can afford the tires first. His delay may be undesired. He made simply need dollars, not common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably don't live anywhere near you, but you owe it to everyone else on the road to slash this clown's tire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who here has never driver a car that was not safe to operate. That is not just tire wear and alignment. That kind of damaged can be caused by camber which on its own can be a few things...... Worn shock mounts, bent control arm, worn shocks. If the guy can't afford it he can't afford it. Advise him accordingly and let him sort himself out. What you want to do is illegal as it is damaging someone's property. I understand the motive, but don't agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, thanks for commenting. This was two years ago, and he replaced the tire before anything happened. By the count of commentors the vote is about 4 to 2 to keep him off the road to prevent a crash due to the tires condition. All of the parts you listed are not going to keep anyone from replacing this damaged tire with a cheap used tire in better and safe condition for a short term safe solution, but I like that you pointed out underlying possible problems. Yes, I know it's illegal to damage his tire, I also know it's illegal to drive on that tire. They cancel each other out in my mind. I just wanted a bunch of unbiased peoples opinions on whether it was better to get him off the road, or better to let him endanger unknown number of interstate travelers have their safety at risk by doing nothing

      Delete